Y’all, I don’t know about you but 2016 has flown by and left me feeling a little breathless and overwhelmed. To be honest, I’m just gearing up for the busy season in Hockey Mom world and I feel like there is so much I still want to do before 2017 arrives.
We’ve discussed my goals for the year but I am feeling the need to push myself a bit. I would love to cruise into 2017 feeling like I have my stuff together. And then I stumbled over to Lisa at Market Your Creativity who has a great system (at least for me) for managing your time and business in a way that stretches you. I had totally forgotten that each year she sets goals for the last quarter of the year. I landed on her page looking for when her book Your Best Year 2017 would be released. But then there was this and the lights went on and the motivation started and OMG people.
So….let’s stretch things a bit more for the last few months of 2016, shall we?
17 Before 2017
- Complete a Whole 30. My West Coast bestie (hi Annie!) has sworn by this and encouraged me to give it a try for over a year now. I toyed with the idea in September, dipped my toe in for a couple of days. And then September hit full force and I lost my mind a little. So before the year comes to a close, I would like to get 30 days of Whole 30 in.
- Participate in NaNoWriMo in November. Not because I want to write a book. I mean, I do, but not this year. I would like to spend November writing. Just to get in the habit. It goes back to one of my established goals for 2016. So, 2000 words a day for 30 days. I can do that, right?
- Run a steady 10km. Before the end of the year. Next year, I have committed to two half marathons, in my head at least, so having the 10km distance comfortably under my belt would go a long way towards the confidence needed to train for a half.
- Finish the social media course I signed up for in the summer. If you are looking to build a business online, I can not recommend Brenda and her Sassy Suite highly enough. Everything I know about blogging comes from her. There’s a Facebook group for those of you wanting to stop in and see what’s what before committing to a course. You won’t be sorry. And I need to finish soaking in her social media wisdom.
- Complete 30 days of Instagram posting. This sort of ties in with #4, I tend to go in waves when it comes to posting on social media. Consistency is king in blogging and social media, so…time to get consistent.
- Take the boys out to the farm twice. They love it out there. Given the schedule this one might be a challenge, but it would be worth it for all of us.
- Finish Minecraft quilts in time for Christmas.
- Move my alarm to 5 am and actually get up at that time. I am far more productive first thing in the morning. 5am it is.
- Run 3x/week in December. Part of #3. Consistency. All that jazz.
- Plan out the first quarter of 2017 using Your Best Year 2017. So that 2017 will be my best year. You know.
- Spend $500 on Christmas. This is the agreed upon budget between husband and I for Christmas shopping this year. I don’t mind a challenge.
- Increase mortgage prepayment.
- Review our will. It’s been a while. Needs to be done.
- Save $2000. Gotta start somewhere. And the buffer would be nice.
- Apply to one freelance writing job. Because it terrifies me.
- Get headshots taken. Again, because it terrifies me.
- Spend one Wednesday night in a coffee shop with my laptop, a coffee and some time to focus on what I want from HbH next year. (Kind of similar to #10, but the focus is more narrow here)
So there you have it. And it looks like a lot, and it kind of is. But some things are easier than others. A few I can scratch off by making a phone call or prioritizing my time. And if that gets me my best year in 2017, it will be well worth the effort.