Hang on to your hats, folks. Summer is about to kick into full gear and we have a whopper of a June ahead of us. For some reason, June becomes the month to get everything done before we start heading for the cottage on weekends. I mean, I guess it makes sense. School is winding down. We’re recovered from hockey season. Fees have been paid for the next season. And there is nothing watch-worthy on TV to distract me. So let’s get to the weekly recap and then look ahead to next, shall we?
I have been telling people for years that I don’t sit still well. Down time gives me too much time to think. And I often use the time to think myself into a mood. What that mood is depends on a variety of things. Regardless, down time is trouble-making. And boy did I get into trouble this week.
We are doing some financial restructuring around here. Things have changed, the boys are getting older, priorities are a little different than they were. And the mortgage is up for renewal. Sigh. I dislike mortgage renewal time. Normally paperwork is my jam but not when it comes to mortgages. I just find the whole process with the bank frustrating.
But it’s mostly handled now. Mostly. That’s it for our weekly recap because it consumed my entire week.
Just in time too, because we are heading out next week for a quick family vacation. A few days at a water park for my boys rather than big birthday parties. Food that someone else cooked in a quantity that might keep them full for an hour or two. And hopefully quiet nights because they have worn themselves out. It’s always nice to get away with my boys for a few days of fun. And momma loves a good road trip.
Before we hit the road, though, there are things that need to get done. Laundry. Packing. Tidying up the house so I don’t come home to a disaster. The boys are already revolting at the request to clean up. The road trip threat is only so effective for so long. Then they call my bluff.
For next week, here’s five good reasons I need caffeine.
- I believe I mentioned road trip? As much as I enjoy them, they can be a little stressful. Especially if the boys decide to chat incessantly for the duration. Based on today’s word count before 9 am, a quiet drive is not in the forecast.
- If you follow me on Instagram, you know that the boys found a critter. A snake shaped critter. IN. MY.HOUSE. I have an agreement with all things creepy-crawly. They stay outside and I don’t declare war on their kind. The snakes have violated our peace treaty. Retaliation will be swift and brutal. At least, it will be once I figure out how to be brutal when I cant get within arms reach of them. Because …well heebie jeebies.
- We’re currently playing a rousing round of musical bedrooms. Boy #1 and Boy #2 have been sharing a bedroom since I was pregnant with Boy #3. However, three weeks ago, Boy #2 and Boy #3 decided that they should share a room. Fine. Boy #2 moved his stuff into Boy #3’s room. Then we had an overnight guest this week, so all three boys were in Boy #1’s room. Then last night, because it was a weekend, they wanted to have another sleepover in Boy #1’s room. Except that the sun finally came out so our house is a little warm and you add three boys into a room and it gets about as hot as Hades in there. Boy #3 had no issues with this and promptly fell asleep. Boy #1 and Boy #2 needed “colder” beds so they shifted over to the other boy bedroom. I don’t even know who sleeps where anymore. I give up.
- The pager is back on. This is a wonderful thing. But it is also prime burn season. And grad season. So the pager has gone off just about every night this week. Sometimes twice. Add in training and I didn’t see HockeyDad for more than an hour from Monday through Thursday. The boys know that I’m down by a set of hands. Some times they chip in and help out. And sometimes I just need more coffee.
- Boy swim shorts. Now I know this is minor in comparison to what moms of girls face, but for the life of me I can not find swim shorts that fit around the waist. Boy #2 normally wears a size 7-8. I currently have him in a size 4 swim short and it still gaps at the waist. Now I know that my boys are …lanky we’ll say. Slim fit sizing is our friend. But for a swim short, where are the adjustable waists? Or even shorts with a lace that goes all the way around, not just the decorative stuff at the front? Until I find such things, know that the plumber’s crack you see my boys sporting is not for lack of trying.
I’m going to go and top up the coffee.
See you at the rink,