Throughout the winter, my friends and coworkers go off to hot, sunny places and post all these beautiful pictures while I drink copious amounts of caffeine and freeze my bum off in a rink. In an effort to celebrate finishing the hockey season and a couple of boy birthdays, I decided to book a long weekend away for us all this past weekend. So Sunday morning we hit the road for a waterpark about five hours away.
And before I start complaining and whining about needing caffeine (because that’s what I do), let me assure you that both HockeyDad and I were thrilled to take the boys and just watch them go. Because that was their speed the entire time we were there. Just GO. At full tilt, in different directions. Until they crashed into sleep at night only to wake up and repeat the next day. It was awesome.
Thankfully, I had a day and a bit at home to set things to rights before we departed on this adventure. I certainly had no energy left by the time I got home on Wednesday night. Not even my beloved caffeine could help me by that point.
Adventure, combined with a two day work week where I had to catch up on a week’s worth of work made for a bit of a blur.
But that seems to be an ongoing theme with me these days.
On that note, I present:
1. Boy #3 has some kind of superior ninja skills and managed to lose both myself and HockeyDad multiple times during our stay at the waterpark. This wouldn’t be so disconcerting except that he fully boycotted his last set of swimming lessons and still requires a life jacket when around any kind of water. At one point I found him in the middle of the wave pool section of the park. Just as the waves started up again. I don’t know what it is about that youngest boy of mine, but he is totally fearless. I’m going to need some caffeinated help to keep up with him.
2. On Day 2 of our adventure, my phone decided to fry itself overnight. Literally fry. It was smoking hot when I picked it up in the morning. I was without a phone, away from home and trying to finalize a house purchase. It wasn’t pretty. Thankfully, HockeyDad has some ninja skills of his own and was able to fix my phone when we got home. He also set my email up on his phone for the remainder of the trip so I didn’t go totally squirrelly on him trying to get things accomplished.
3. Three boys, one minivan, five plus hours of driving. I think that’s self explanatory. I might never get the smell of boy feet aired out.
4. As an extra fun twist, I get to have hernia repair surgery the last week of school. Because, you know, I don’t need to lift anything. The small saving grace here is that this isn’t in the middle of hockey season because hockey bags need to be schlepped and sometimes the only way to do something is to do it yourself.
5. I love my job. I really, truly do. But here’s the thing, the group I work with has a massive pile of work and a minimal amount of bodies. And when my body isn’t at work, my job kind of has to wait. Or someone else has to do it. Neither option is preferable when I’m looking at being off work for two weeks. So I’m trying to get as much done as I can before I leave. It’s making for some rather epic caffeine consumption.
This coming week is all about gearing up for being out of commission for a couple of weeks. Food prep, freezer meals, grocery shopping, laundry catch up and maybe a quick tidy of the house so I’m not driven crazy while couch bound.
You know the usual.
See you at the rink.