a feeling of listlessness and dissatisfaction arising from a lack of occupation or excitement.
synonyms: boredom, tedium, listlessness, lethargy, lassitude, languor, weariness, enervation
Y’all, can I just remind everyone that I don’t sit still very well? I mean, sure, if I’m reading I’ll stay in one place for hours while my mind adventures through a story. But with the end of season comes the in between season. And it’s not nearly as fun as I remember.
In between seasons, as hockey has ended but it’s still too cold for cottage season.
In between books, I keep picking up a book, reading a few pages and then putting it down. Only to go to the bookshelves and pick out another book in hopes of it grabbing my attention. But it doesn’t and the cycle repeats.
Just in between. I am suffering from end of season ennui. And I’m driving myself crazy.
I need a project. And watching all episodes of The Crown doesn’t count.
In the last two weeks, I have done the following in an attempt to cope with the end of season ennui:
- Read four books (yes. Four. There was a weekend of severely awful weather that kept me indoors with my tea and my bookshelf)
- Made dinner almost every night
- Started exercising again. It’s amazing how easy getting up at 5:15am during the work week is when I don’t spend entire weekends in hockey rinks.
- Cleaned the house. At one point I was vacuuming twice a day just to keep ahead of the mud being tracked in by boys’ shoes. I’m still not entirely sure it was necessary. I might have just needed something to do.
- Got a long overdue hair cut and colour (you know it’s bad when HockeyDad notices the grey)
- Played a ridiculous amount of Hay Day. My virtual farm is booming right now, I tell you.
- Had three dinner dates
- Went to see two movies
- Worked. Because I gotta pay the bills some how
- Helped with maple syrup season. This year we had 35 taps and buckets. Which is about three times more than what we had last year.
There were also dentist appointments, a shopping day and several naps.
See? I don’t sit still well. With that in mind, and the time to stop and look around my house, there are a few potential projects that I’m pondering.
The first is a repaint of our kitchen and living room. Last year we replaced our roof but not before some water snuck in and left it’s mark. Also Boy #1’s room is due for a fresh coat of paint as well. Except when I asked him what colour he wanted in his room, he said lime green and purple. That’s a tough colour combo for this neutral colour loving momma. Depending on how motivated I am, and if I can wrap my head around lime green walls, I might tackle those on the same weekend.
A second project is finishing a set of quilts I made for my boys. Two years ago. I finished the tops but never got to the backing and binding parts. That would be a good one to finish as well. Then I can start on quilts for other people. Or you know, myself. Whatever.
The third and final project is….me. For a variety of reasons it’s been a long time since I made taking care of myself a priority. Someone else has always needed that focus more. Now with Boy #3 more independent than ever and life being on a mostly even keel, I figure the next 5 months would be well spent getting some exercise and eating proper meals again. Those of you wanting to follow along on this particular project can find me on Instagram. Though if I see you in person, can you just pretend you didn’t read this? I’ve got a long way to go and an awful track record for this sort of thing.
As I said, there’s five months between now and the start of next season. Let’s see how much living I can pack into those months, shall we?
Also, if anyone has advice on how to convince a ten year old that lime green walls and purple accents aren’t a great colour combo, I’m all ears.
See you at the rink,