Y’all. We are one week in to the return to routine and I’m not going to sugar coat things, this week was a gong show. HockeyDad has been away on his annual canoe trip since Monday morning. This year due to scheduling conflicts, he didn’t leave quite as early as he usually does, so I luckily had him around for the first day of evaluations for Boy #2. It’s better than I thought I was going to get, so that’s something.
But if we’re being honest, the anxiety level this week is hovering in the stratosphere somewhere. Evaluations were fine. Both my boys skated to the best of their ability and that’s all we ever ask of them.
It’s the waiting to hear what my schedule this weekend is going to be like. That’s what’s killing me. Contrary to outward appearances, I am not a patient person. And right now, I’m in a holding pattern until evaluations are done and we can get on with our season.
Combine that with a week of the Mom Show (all Mom, all the time)…well, you can imagine just how much coffee I required to function. So without further ado, I present:
1. Thanks to this week, I have vowed to never again attempt to work and fly solo at home. At least not until my boys are old enough to get themselves onto the bus. The combination of trying to get us all ready for school and work and my trying to be productive at work was just about the end of me. I don’t know how single parents do it. You people are my heroes.
2. Because the week’s routine was out of whack I had a boy home from school with a nervous tummy on Tuesday and a forgotten lunch at home on Friday. And major attitude all week long. Normally these things are taken in stride, but this week I am thankful for every member of my tribe that stepped in to help. There are not enough words. Or coffee.
3. Hockey evaluations continue this weekend. It’s not the time spent at the ice that requires caffeine in large quantities. It’s the anxiety that goes with them that gets me. Every year. You would think my children were trying to break into the NHL the way my stomach carries on. Even my phone has designated our association’s website as a favorite for me. That’s how much time I spend stalking it. This is not healthy, people.
4. Homework. OMG. It’s the second week of school and one boy had homework three different nights. Another had two and Boy #3 just wanted to be in on the fun, so he practiced his letters and numbers while the other two and I toughed it out. I was one of those weirdos that enjoyed homework and school in general. I am no longer one of those weirdos.
5. Rental administrative headaches. We own three rentals and while one chugs along just fine, the other two are rapidly becoming a thorn in my side for a variety of issues. Late rent, damage, pest reports. Ugh. I do not have the bandwith in my brain for this nonsense this week, so of course this is when it crops up. We’ll get through it and I’ve done what I can for now. But it still requires caffeine as a coping mechanism.
HockeyDad is on his way home as we speak, so my life returns to normal starting tomorrow. Or as normal as it can get when you are smack in the middle of evaluations and your stomach is doing cartwheels. You know, typical start of season things.
See you at the rink.