I don’t know what I was thinking. When we got the tournament schedule for Boy#1’s team, I took advantage of my novice team manager position and scheduled Boy #2’s tournaments around them. Worked out great because then I could make all the tournaments.
Last year I missed a couple due to scheduling conflicts and it sucks. No one likes missing a tournament.
What I didn’t consider is that back-to-back tournament weekends are exhausting. So we followed Boy #1’s away tournament with a local tournament for Boy #2. Physically it’s not too demanding on the parents, because there’s a bunch of sitting around watching hockey games.
But mentally? I’ve run a marathon. Two weekends in a row.
Y’all, I’m tired.
We’re in the back half of the season and for Boy #2, his regular season games are slowing down. This is a good thing. We still play plenty. And there’s still his away tournament, but the week to week grind gets a smidge more manageable. Or so I hope, the practice portion of the schedule hasn’t yet been added for February.
For now, we soldier on and I present this week’s edition of Reasons I Need Caffeine:
- As mentioned above, but worth mentioning again: back to back tournament weekends
- The job that pays me so that I can afford hockey? Yeah, busier than usual as we head into our last quarter of the fiscal year. Also, I was off for two gorgeous weeks where I did nothing but the work piled up. I’m mostly dug out, but the week was a busy one.
- The new year brings a new rookie class at the fire station, so I fly solo while HockeyDad helps with their training. Again, not a big deal all around, but there is a cumulative effect when you add in the tournament weekend.
- The winter weather has truly arrived bringing the cold with it. Caffeine keeps me warm. Or tries. Just keep the coffee and tea coming until the snow is gone and no one gets hurt.
- Back in December, I started going to my bootcamp class again. For a minimum of three times a week, I get up at 5am and drag my butt to the earliest possible class. Given my schedule, and dislike of leaving my house after I’ve gotten home, this is the only option that ensures I’m getting exercise regularly. Getting up that early is really hard until it becomes habit. Until then? You guessed it, pass the caffeine.
I wish I could say that things slow down now until the away tournament. Truth of the matter is next weekend is just a little more crazy. But I’ll save that for next week’s update.
Until then, see you at the rink