If there was any doubt it was winter, this week sure drove the point home. This week alone we had two snow storms, a day of rain/freezing rain and a day where the temperature was both warm enough to melt snow and then cold enough to freeze every flat surface into a skating rink. Sidewalks included.
I make no secret of the fact that I am the opposite of graceful. I spend most of my winter focussed on staying on my feet. Some years I am more successful than others. But if this week is any indication, this will not be a successful winter in that regard.
Combine that with Blue Monday and a full moon and the entire world seemed to go a little loopy. Every thing was just a little off step. That alone is reason enough to reach for a soothing hug in a mug if I ever heard of one.
So let’s dig in to the Reasons I Need Caffeine this week, shall we?
- I know I mentioned it above, but the weather alone was reason for excessive amounts of tea for me this week. For some reason the temperature in my office is never comfortable. We are either scorching hot or freezing cold. This week it was the latter. My feet got cold on Monday and stayed that way. And anyone who knows me will tell you the minute my feet get that cold, I get cranky. Like a two year old without their blankie and a nap level of cranky.
- With the weather insanity came two cancelled days of school and three boys who were climbing the walls with cabin fever. But, lucky for us, Boy #1 had a 90 minute hockey practice in the middle of this that might have saved us all. He went on the ice as a sullen preteen and came off the ice as his sunny, happy self. Add in emotional support pizza for dinner and the world was right as rain again.
- Last weekend I showed up to the rink in a dress and full makeup because we had to go straight from getting Boy #2 dressed in his gear to a wedding. It was a beautiful celebration but it was also minus -31C (that’s -23F for my American readers). Cold. So very cold. I don’t know that I ever thawed out. And I’m not entirely sure I’ll hear the end of it from the team. In my defense, I told them not to get used to it.
- I made a goal for myself to get to my gym three days a week. That’s three mornings at 6am, I’m working out. And this week it means that I did all the burpees in a workout so every muscle in my body hurts. It means that come Friday night my idea of a party is pyjamas and my book. Which is exactly what I did…after hockey practice.
- This weekend includes three games, two practices and a birthday party. All of which I need to pack into two days. There may not be enough caffeine to save me but I’m going to give it my best shot.
Have a great week all and I’ll see you at the rink.